Thursday 24 November 2016

Inspiration

My Inspirations

In todays session on self-branding, we started to think about all of the things that inspired our design decisions. Throughout the morning, I began to realise that it wasn't necessarily the designers and artists that informed my work, but actually my personal interests and hobbies. 

David Bowie once said "the only art i'll ever study is the stuff I can steal from" which is something I would also agree with. The work of other artists should inform my own practice, trigger ideas and eventually help me to find my own design preferences. 



I think it is also important to recognise the fact that taking inspiration from other artists should be seen as a positive thing and as long as you are not plagiarising their ideas it is fine. To successfully take inspiration from an artist, you need to credit them for their work but also make sure what you produce is a transformation and complete remix of their original piece of work. 

Become a sponge and absorb everything around you as possible sources of inspiration.
















Designers/Studios
Lo Siento 

Artist
Jose Romussi

Painting
Fernand Leger, Le Pont du remorqueur

Sculpture
Ai Weiwei, bicycle sculpture

Song
Changes, Faul

Recording artist
Alessia Cara

Book
Angela Carter, The Bloody Chamber

Poem/Poet
Porphyria's lover, Robert Browning

Quote
"Never resist the unfamiliar" - The Beach

Building
Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II




After individually completing the list of 10 different inspirations in our lives, the pieces of paper were passed around the classroom so that everyone could share their inspirations. I found this useful because I now have a long list of different sources of inspiration I can refer back to when starting new projects or for general inspirations.

I found the quotes and the song choices the most interesting ones to read through as I believe that these are the most personal of the categories. The quotes that inspire people are particular character defining and can really show how a person may approach different situations in life, also influencing their design decisions. 

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment