Sunday 13 May 2018

Creative report: Lauren Gemma Hay (Interviewee)

Lauren Gemma Hay

"I'm Lauren, a twenty year old aspiring Graphic Designer. I graduated with an HND (Grade A) in Visual Communications at Aberdeen College in 2014. Currently I am studying Visual Communications & Media Design at Abertay University. I have a large love for design, illustration, blogging and photography and try to share that throughout this blog. 

I started this blog in June 2013 to share and record my life and design work I produced. Throughout this blog the majority of the photos shared on this blog are created or taken by me with my Canon EOS 1100D and are edited using Photoshop. Any other images are sourced but if you see an image that is rightfully yours please let me know! If you would like to get in contact with me regarding anything or would just like to say hello please find my details in the 'contact' section. Or you can send me a quick hello on twitter @LaurenGemmaHay!"








Based on some of the screenshots above I found out more about Lauren as a creative and blogger and came up with some questions once I had contacted her to find out if she would be happy to answer a few things for me. 

CONVERSATION:




Lauren:

Hey, 

It is super long but I hope it was helpful! Any other questions feel free to ask. 

Also I know I briefly said it on insta. But that fact you're reaching out to people (cause I'm assuming I'm not the only one?) to try find out best practice and get advice shows how passionate you are and how driven you are to work in the industry. I was the same. It can get super hard and feel like the world is against you, hell there may be people in your life against you pursuing it but never lose sight of what you want and just make sure you keep working for it! 

Lauren x

Q: Is there anything in particular that you have been doing whilst still at uni that has really
helped you to get to where you are today?

Yes omg several things. Although not all of them happened at uni. Because I was a scottish
student, I ended up doing a 2+2 which was 2 years at college (to get my HND) then 2 years at uni
to do my BA (HONS).
First, the blog. Obviously you’re interest in doing this already which is super good. But starting up
a blog, or even a freelance project, is really great for when you get into the working world. It
shows you are hard working, passionate and have a larger interest in whatever you focus on. Also
if it gets to a point (with blogging) that you’re working with PR/brands/sponsorships it can be a
great thing to learn as you end up expanding your skills from creating content to working in a
more collaborative way, (possibly) working with invoices and payments and having a more
professional side of your interest. And, you learn a shit looooad about other aspects including (but
not limited too): design, content creation, social media, photography, management, promotion,
etc

Secondly, is #CBloggers, I know you’ve asked about this below so I’ll keep this short. Basically
setting up the community showed passion, drive and intuition to build things that are missing and/
or aren’t working. To an employer these are very valuable skills because it means you can adapt
to what the client needs and you can think on your feet without having to be reassured.
And lastly, but most importantly. Experimenting creatively, a lot! Literally my entire dissertation and
final project started with a focus on the act of play and how it affects creativity/the mind. I also, in
my 3rd year, started at #create365. Similar to the idea of #the100dayproject, i started on the 1st
Jan 2015 with the intent to create or be creative everyday for the year. In reality I published about
130 pieces of artwork, but from this work I exhibited at an exhibition promoting women and
females in the creative industry. The project opened me up and loosened my creative practice
causing me to create some of my favourite work to date, pieces I still showed in my design
portfolio.

And one last note just generally on university in general. Your last year is so friggin hard.
Dissertations are a pain in the ass. Your final project won’t go the way you want it too. Initially.
But it does get there. You’ll probably cry, be stressed out, maybe suffer from mental health issues
during the year but you’ll get there. University is essentially a test to see how long you can stick it
out and it can feel like the only answer is to drop out at one point (I had it) but speak to your
classmates, speak to your tutors, family, etc and look for help when you’re struggling and you’ll
get through it. Also, in terms of jobs, no one really cares what grades you get in the end, sure if
you get a 2:1 or above it might help and looks more impressive on paper to get past HR and that
front end but it isn’t everything. I know soooo many people who are self taught and get really
good one, one guy I know, Tim Easley (check him out, he’s incredible) has worked for Disney, Nike
and so many big brands but without having an formal design degree. It’s what’s in your portfolio
and who you are as a person that counts.

Q: What were the first few steps you took to create an identity as a Graphic Designer?

In terms of identity, I didn’t really ever identify “myself” as a graphic designer. I created an identity
for things it was being used for so my blog, a youtube channel, for creating CV’s, portfolios, etc.
But what I would say is start from the beginning and act like your creating something for someone
else. Work out all the ins and outs, the what’s, why’s, who’s and how’s of you as a designer. Find
out what you stand for, what you want to convey through it and what your goals* are as a
designer and use all that as a basis to what it should look like. (Also with moodboards, don’t pull
together things that you ~~think~~ it should look like, pull together images, textures, patterns, etc
that convey the way your “brand” should feel.
* It doesn’t need to be finalised atm, but have an idea. You’re allowed to change it though.
Change is good!

Q: When did you start up your blog and how did you promote it?

I started mine at the end of my 1st year of College after I had completed my module of creating a
personal identity. I used that identity as my blog header. But I also started my blog because I seen
other illustrators, designers, creatives using it as an outlet and felt I need to do that too.
In terms of promotion, I mainly interacted with other bloggers on twitter and facebook. With
twitter, there’s so many blog chats throughout the week that you can connect with lots of people within only a few hours. Make genuine connections first though, it’s great to have people you
connect with. And with facebook, there’s a lot of Facebook groups about blogging. Ones specific
to a niche (like travel, creativity, lifestyle, etc) or for general areas (like city specific, general area,
or the country). Find your tribes (yes, plural) and run with it.

Q: Content wise did you start with a theme for posts, or has it always been very much
based on your creative interests?

My main goal initially, was to post about creativity, which I did. I posted about colours of the
week, quotes of the day, reviews of awesome merch promo packs. But I also posted lifestyle bits
about what i got up to that week, things i got for my birthday, etc. It’s so easy to feel like you
*need* to blog about something like beauty or fashion but you don’t. It’s such an easy rabbit hole
to get stuck down so stick to writing what you want to write and what you’d like to read- create
that.
But definitely give yourself some restraints or at least specify things to yourself. Currently my main
topics for blogging are:


Q: Could you please explain a little bit about being the host of Creative Bloggers?

Creative Bloggers is basically my little love child. I set it up because i was so fed up with seeing
twitter chats very often being focused around lifestyle, fashion and beauty that i wanted to talk to
other like minded people about things we face as creatives and so i set it up. I launched it in
September 2014 and it has been on break since December 2017 till I got settled in London and
my flat. But I’m planning to launch it again, hopefully within the next few weeks/month but may
hold off until after my birthday. But keep an eye out!

It is a lot of work to do as it’s often only me who plans the topics and questions week in, week
out. I also am the person who would plan guest hosts and even then, I always would proof the
questions they’d ask just in case there was last minute changes meaning they could no longer
host.

But it’s been very rewarding, I’ve made a lot of connections and community from pretty much
nothing. And I have some really close, inspiring friends that I’d have been lost without through uni
and then getting into my job.

Q: How does your internship at Medium influence your work now and has it changed your
design process at all?

I’m assuming you’re meaning my 20 things I learned in 20 days post I published on medium? This
was from my internship at a studio called Venn Creative. They’re a very awesome studio and really
helped kick start my career and knowledge in working in the real world. https://
venncreative.co.uk/
I wouldn’t say that my internship there, (or at any of the 3 other places I interned at) has changed
my work or style but they did definitely impact how I look at/critique my work, my design process
and how I went forward in looking for a full time roll.
From all my internships, I learned sooo much (if you can afford to, or if you’re lucky to find any
that pay, grab them with both hands!). I definitely have been able to put more thought into the
research process and in such, realising mood boards have a specific goal and it shouldn’t be too
look pretty or to look like what you want to create.
I also learned a lot of the financial side of things. If you plan to do any freelance work this is
something that is crucial to learn and deffo try to speak to tutors or go on courses that teach you
more of the finance/buisness side of this as it’s so valuable. At one of my internships I got to see
the invoices, contracts, etc that they used and it let me see what works and how to get a client to
agree to your terms.

Q: Finally, do you have any tips or interesting places to get inspiration from?

This is gonna be a huge section cause I’m just gonna tell you everything I wish was told to me.
> Get to as many creative/design events as possible. Meet people and network! It’s horrible
networking, especially if you’re an introvert like me. But it’s so important. My first internship came
from being at the design festival in Glasgow (GDFS- also a great festival in general, again, if you
can afford to, go to it. The folk who run it are incredible and you can get internships and real
industry expierence from it.) I also went to Ladies, Wine and Design nights and met other female
creatives. It’s really good to go to things like these where the people who are at it have been in the
industry for a while. They can help you identify where you’re lacking in your portfolio, what you’re
lacking, how to show of your skills and strengths and most importantly, connect you with people
who may want to purchase, employee or pay for your skills and talents.

> Never stop learning! Literally when you leave uni you are not done learning. We are part of a
weird industry that is constantly evolving with the world of social media and the internet. Our
outputs change all the time and our technology and software we use is always adapting. So keep
brushed up on your skills that are your key skills but also make time to learn things that may set
you apart. This could be absolutely anything!
For me, being so a part of the blogging community and thus social media, online space and
content creation it means in my role where a lot of the work i produce is social graphics i have a
an idea as to what will and wont work in not just design terms but in the way it reaches people,
how it works as a piece of content and will it be a throwaway piece or something memorable.
But learn what you want to learn, not just what you think you should learn. Knowing a different
language can be super valuable to large/global companies especially if/when you work with forge
in clients.
But the main things you should know when you leave uni is basic design and the terms, layout
and typography and understand designing for both print and digital. You don’t need to know
everything but have a basis and be willing to learn. Things like html/coding, animation and 3D
technologies can also set you a part.

> When it comes to applying for jobs it’s a long, draining process that feels like a job in itself. But
put only the best work in your portfolio, ones that get you excited, that you enjoyed doing, that
show great skill. Don’t put in work that you didn’t like the outcome or that you want as a “filler”
piece, they will stick out and it’ll be noticeable. Always take your sketchbooks and developments
with you. The may not want to or ask to see them but they’re good to have to reference when
speaking about challenges you faced within that creative process.

Be organised! I think one of the main reasons I got the job I’m in is because i had my shit together
basically. I had questions planned out and written down. I had a notebook with me that they see
was very organised and “neat”. They knew i had my head screwed on and was ready for the
industry because of this. Don’t ignore crucial details like this. Coming in with a few bits scribbled
on a ripped bit of paper or no questions or know anything about the company will show and you’ll
look naive.
As I said already, be willing to learn. When it comes to jobs, companies, especially for junior roles,
want to take on someone that is passionate, willing to learn and hardworking. Depending on the
type of company it is you may not know everything they do but they’ll want you to be flexible and
willing to adapt your knowledge to their clients.
For your portfolio itself when applying for jobs and going for interviews, you don’t need a physical
one any more. It’s best to present on a laptop or iPad and then if you can make/buy leave behinds
(including business cards!!!). When I had both my college and uni degree shows, i made invite
packs that i sent to local studios that included my business card, cv, stickers, sweets, badges,
and other things basically just to entice them to come or if they couldn’t come, to at least
remember me. The company i got the internship from at the GDFS i had originally sent them at an
invite to my uni degree show months before but they had sent me an email saying they were
unable to come but they liked my package. I stuck in their mind and the work i did in the live
project brief with them blew them away and that’s how i landed my internship.

and some smaller bits of advice/knowledge

> there is always shit jobs and incredible jobs at every company, studio, agency, whatever. You
need to take the good with the bad

> Design isn’t everything. There’s so much to do with story, engagement with people, copy, etc.
You’re a small cog in a large machine. But it isn’t a bad thing.

> There’s assholes and angels in the industry- get used to it. You won’t get along with everyone
but do your best and don’t act like a dick to anyone as it’ll get passed around.

> Only a small number of your graduating class will probably end up working in design/illustrators,
etc. Out of my college year (about 50) and my uni class (12), including myself, there is only about
10 of us who are either working, freelancing or still studying to do design.

> You know jack shit and tbh, I know jack shit. We’re both still so new to the industry and even
though I may be working/interning in the industry for over a year now, it means fuck all. We both
still have a lot to learn.

> No matter what stage of your journey there is always things you can learn and things you can
teach. Look at us right now. I’m sharing the things I know to you and I’m sure as hell gonna guess
there’ll be things you could teach me. And it’ll be the same in the industry

And lastly, here’s two podcasts I’ve been in that you can maybe get more info about me:
https://www.100creatives.com/podcast/2017/4/19/episode-08
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/one-cocktail-at-a-time/id1339819830?mt=2 (launching
episode, #1)

I’m also due to be on a podcast that should come out soon from Crazy animal face.

And some other posts/articles you should read:
https://builttoadapt.io/letter-to-a-junior-designer-e96659725678
https://uxdesign.cc/the-evolution-process-from-a-junior-level-designer-to-becoming-a-designlead-
5cde5fe1668c
https://medium.com/the-mvp/unconventional-ways-to-become-a-better-designer-11ecac6690ee
Sorry for the huge, almost 3,000 word ramble but i hope it was helpful!

MY RESPONSE
Hi Lauren, 

I cannot even describe how grateful I was to have received such in-depth responses and so genuine, thank you. 

So much to think about and I really like the idea of doing one of the creative challenges and then holding an exhibition or curating a publication of some sort. I have been a fan of Tim Easley for a while, love his vibrancy!! 

The table of blogging topics is such a good way of keeping consistency, something I need to establish now that I’ve started up. I am using Medium to do the blog posts, so fingers crossed it will work out well with some time. 

I enjoyed listening to the ‘one cocktail at a time’ podcast this morning, I definitely owe you a blue lagoon when im next in London. I do have a 1 month internship at Honey Designs in London over summer, im not sure if you have heard of them. 

Thank you for your kind words, hopefully I will have a blog post or two over the next couple of weeks! 

You have really motivated me, hope you have had a nice and creative day!

Hannah x

LAUREN
Hey, 

That's alright glad it's been of use! 

Glad it's given you a lot to think about, sorry if it's information/idea overload though. But just write everything down and at least then you can come back to them and you won't forget. 

Ah yeah Tim's great. He's a friend of mine but he's super cool and I've learnt a lot from him as well. 

I just found giving myself that outline for blogging it keeps me focused. It means when I write something I can evaluate it and think, "does this actually cover something I want to share on my blog?". It's just helpful to make sure you aren't rambling and the point you want to make gets across in a clear way.  Ah yeah Mediums great though, you can get a lot of exposure on there. 

Thanks! Laura's super great too. I actually met her through the GDFS event I mentioned but from us both being bloggers. There's so many ways to meet people in this industry, it's unbelievable! Haha that sounds great. Oh I haven't heard of them I'll need to check them out. But feel free to give me a shout when you're down and we can always meet up for a coffee or something? 

Have a lovely weekend. 

Lauren x

ACTING ON THE ADVICE 
In response to the advice I have been given by Lauren I listened to the one cocktail at a time podcast which gave more of an insight into her creative journey during uni and how she has got ot where she is now. 



The blog post on the things that Lauren learnt whilst at her internship was something that really stood out to me as it is something that I can relate to. It has motivated me to do the same whilst I spend the month at Honey in August, it will be important to document everything I do, whether I categorise it to the different projects that I work on or if I do it week by week for example. 

Internship at Medium – OhHay (Lauren Gemma Hay)

Daily learnings*:
·      If you have an idea you need to speak up and share it. Even if you don’t think that is where the direction of the conversation is going- it might lead to a unique perspective or a better option.
·      Sometimes when a client asks for something that may be a bit more of a ‘professional’ direction, it doesn’t need to mean uniformed or simple.
·      Concepts don’t alwaysmatter. It’s ok to do things that just look nice but just know who your audience is and what the work is meant to be doing.
·      Look at things with new and fresh perspectives will always shed light onto new ideas
·      Design can, at times, be boring but it makes it worth while when you can and do pull together as a team. Also, the boring bits are all part of the process- you don’t get the Instagram-worthy work every single day
·      Critiques can be difficult but they are done with the best of intentions. Keep emotions out of the process when they are not needed, it’s not always easy too and they can be important, but at a certain place
·      Never enough time to print, alwaysenough time to reprint.
·      (Also from Day 7: Clients will usually go with the direction you don’t think they will or the one you don’t want them to go with- so make sure you only include designs you think will actually work for them and make sense for the brief.)
·      Communication should always be clear. Regardless of if the primary reason of contact with the client is over, always keep the opportunity/channel for them open as you don’t know what other things could happen from working together the first time.
·      Mood boards are important and should be used to reflect the ethos and direction for the clients project (not necessarily the stylistic or visual choices). There should also be a clear and defined distinction between the mood boards.
·      Some concepts and ideas can be thought of first and work out well, even if they had no initial foundation.
·      The first few days of a new project should be used to flesh out and understand the concepts, ideas and purpose as to relate to the clients needs and the what/why/who/how’s.
·      Collaboration is the key to fully developing thought out ideas the best. Fresh thoughts and new perspectives can help push ideas from good to great.
·      Some times software doesn’t always work in the correct or right way and can just do silly things- if you can’t work out why it’s doing it, work out a new way to do what you were trying to do initially.
·      Giving ideas and designs space to breath literally and digitally will help looking at them on a whole.
·      Working fast at the end of a client project will generally always happen and last minute rushes just come with the territory/industry.
·      Changes to design don’t always mean new ideas or additional bits- it can be about refining what you already have and tidying up sizes, shapes or picking a more suitable font/typeface.
·      Clients won’t always realise what they receive from a design process so some times you need to spell it out for them. Being able to show why something won’t work is just as important as showing show why it can. Again, this all relates to the needs of the client and the WWWH’s.
·      Don’t downplay your worth when estimating prices, or you will be down-paid.
·      Don’t get bogged down or spend a lo of time developing one concept when you can use the time to do multiple concepts, rather than make several iterations of one idea.

·      When doing digital design (specifically for phone, web, app, etc) use the process of mobile first as this can help you develop a design that works and looks good in mobile instead of squishing all the assets from a webpage into a mobile sized screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment