Saturday 25 March 2017

Studio brief 2: Concept development

Initial ideas and thoughts 
This shows the descriptions that people in the studio and friends from home have decided apply to me as a person and as a design student. I have highlighted the particular ones that I was most interested by or agree with the most. I will explore 3 of them as part of my self branding project to see if they could help shape my identity as a creative individual.



Brainstorm exploration
- 'She gets what she wants'
This description made me laugh and also left me feeling confused as to what exactly was intended by it. I decided to explore the different meanings that it could hold and see if I could try to match it to my interpretation of my own personality and design approach.
Initially I thought that it could mean 'strong independent woman', feminist values and determination to succeed. This lead me to start thinking that i could produce my opinions into feminist style posters, a way to get myself known as a designer and creative individual. I changed my mind because I do not agree with all of the stigma and opinions that often come with the label of a feminist. I agree with some of the moral thoughts such as equality for all, but I do not like how lots of people assume that feminists are 'anti-men', something I do not agree with. 
I tried to think of a way in which I could take this 'she gets what she wants' identity and develop it in a positive way. I thought that I could spread self positive, confidence boosting and motivation quotes as part of a business card concept. The quotes would be designed and printed on to business card size pieces of paper and then spread around. This would be noticed because people would start to want to collect them all, so creating an interest and also getting my name out there could work effectively. 







- Explorer
The idea that I am seen to be an explorer is something I found to be very positive and accurate, I would consider myself to be someone who likes to visit new places, discuss new ideas and act in an open way to new concepts. A way in which I could share this passion and become known as the designer who likes to explore was to use the little illustration of myself and photograph it in all of the locations that I visit. I started to take a few photos to see how it would look and they turned out well. To improve, I would have the little character out of focus and the background location be the main focus of the picture. An instagram account or blog could be set up for this concept, using it to publicise the travelling, workshops, events or inspirations that I have explored. This would be an account alongside the account that is used to publish my design work. This idea will be effective to share my personality with others, allowing people to start to understand me as an individual and a designer. 
I also gathered the recent photography that I had done and saw that i liked to focus on patterns that I find. I would like to develop this so that it can further influence my design decisions and also inspire other people. 
- Conceptual 
My peers seemed to identify that I had a fairly conceptual approach to design, researching deeply into every aspect of the brief to try and uncover something a little abstract that I could use as the focus to my work. 
A self branding workshop allowed for a discussion to take place on how I could convey this love of research and concepts in an interesting way, without making it too obvious that that was my design approach. 
I started to explore the use of rice and how it could be used to show the idea of intense research. I concluded that this would be by bombarding people with facts on a particular subject. I could choose a different subject every week or month and have it as a focus to find facts and share the. This would portray my love of research in a non-design related way, making people think about why I had chose to do this and hopefully allowing them to conclude that this passion of knowledge would be how I approached design. 









Logo design sketches
I sketched out some different ideas that could represent me as a designer and also using rice as the main influence for my identity as it was what I had decided to be known as. I had found different images of rice paddy fields in the hope to draw some visual inspiration from these and the ways in which they are laid out etc. They had a very strong visual pattern which I started to use as part of the logo sketches. 
I wanted a way in which I could also include a geometric shape as a lot of my work is based on geometric patterns and straight-edged design. I found that there is a 6 step process to growing rice, so I came up with a 6 step approach that /I would take to a brief. I thought that this could be represented by a hexagon, so I started to use this as part of my logo design development. 


6 steps of rice production:
1. seed selection
2. land preparation
3. water use and management
4. nutrient management
5. crop health check

6. harvest

6 steps I approach a brief:
1. initial research
2. initial ideas
3. feedback
4. further research
5. development

6. production


Name
Payoff and description 

rice.
'Digging deep and planting ideas'
A young graphic designer creating, exploring and learning. 

Generating ideas and sharing designs


No comments:

Post a Comment