Monday 6 May 2019

Duke Studios, Leeds

My email - with CV and portfolio attached

Hello,

I hope you have all had a creative and good week!!

I am currently in my 3rd year on the Graphic Design course at Leeds Arts University and as a natural progression I am looking to find some work experience over Easter. At the recent Glug event, the studio tour of the Duke Studios showed just how diverse and inspiring it would be to work in this environment - besides the fact that Mr Scruff is super cute. I am keen to stay in Leeds once I graduate and therefore thought it would be important to start integrating more within the Northern creative scene.

I tend to work on predominantly branding and campaign focused projects as I find myself interested in the ability to visually communicate big ideas. But I also enjoy editorial design as something that I would consider passion projects rather than commercial.

I am not entirely sure how it would work down at Duke Studios in terms of work experience, but I thought it would be good to ask the question at least. I would be really interested to hear back if there are any opportunities to gain experience within the studios as a whole or if any of the internal design studios would offer any work experience.

I have attached some of my most recent work as a portfolio pdf for you to have a glance over and also my website link for my full collection of projects. I would be happy to arrange a phone call in response to this email if you would like to?

Many thanks,

Hannah Rice



Amy's reply
Hi Hannah,

Thank you so much for getting in touch. And it goes without saying that you have impressed Team Duke with such a well thought out intro. It is with sadness that we have to admit - we don’t have anything that you could actually help us with. We wish we did, but fear you may be a little lost and with not enough to do. 

One thing I would highly recommend is to look out for our mentoring scheme that we do in conjunction with the arts university. We offer successful applicants 24/7 access to a studio in our main space for 6 months, with weekly mentoring with the directors to get a business idea of the ground. More info here: https://www.leeds-art.ac.uk/study/after-graduation/duke-studios/ - the next one could tie in perfectly for when you graduate. 

Finally - yes - do get in touch with our studios. One of the directors from Rabbit Hole recently did a talk about approaching them - and said a good portfolio is key with a very brief intro to what you’re looking for. So thats a pro tip for them! With your permission - I could also post it up on our private members groups to introduce you and see if anyone has anything. More info on them all can be found here: https://duke-studios.com/directory/

We have a couple of events that might be of interest to you - The Success Monologues next Wednesday where our director Laura is part of a panel, and Glug on 26th which another resident runs. Will send on any discounts I hear of. Should be lovely inspiring evenings. 

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with - and if it helps - Mr Scruff is actually a bit of a dickhead at least half the time. 

Have a wonderful weekend!

Amy

Amy Balderston
Community Manager




My reply

Hi Amy,

I really appreciate this response, really positive and informing. Thank you for the suggestion of the mentoring scheme, it is definitely something that I will look into for after graduation.

Rabbit Hole have been one of the studios I have closely followed since being in Leeds - love their design style. I would love for you to post my portfolio in the private group if that is ok, thank you.

I will definitely be at the next Glug event and will look into the one next Wednesday, discounts as a students are always gratefully accepted!! I look forward to coming down to them.

Once again, thanks for such a detailed response - I do get the vibe that he is a bit of a diva aha!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend :)


Many thanks,

Hannah Rice

No comments:

Post a Comment