Monday 6 May 2019

Festival full branding and visual identity


Jungle Se7ens

'The full festival graphic identity and promotional materials for the North’s first headline sport & music festival – Jungle Se7ens. Tropic Nation’s ‘JUNGLE SE7ENS’ is set for its inaugural event on the 21st of April 2019 in Leeds, as the North’s headline sport & music festival with a complete graphic identity that is punchy, transferrable across a number of medias and on trend for the target audience.'


As part of my creative development, I have used the time this year to become a part of projects that will stretch my creative capabilities past what they currently are, forcing me to learn new skills and softwares. The agreement to be the solo Graphic Designer for a full festival branding, visual identity and inline presence was one of my biggest challenges this year as it is something that would have been much easier to complete as part of a team. upon reflection, I was able to develop a number of skills as everything design related was coming only from me. The demand of the project required video outputs which I had some experience in but no where near enough to produce a professional outcome. To overcome this problem I watched a very extensive list of Youtube videos on how to use Adobe Premiere Pro and then also utilise the ability to dynamic link Adobe After Effects files into the video. I will admit that I was unable to do everything I had visioned, but as a whole I was happy with the outcome and will use the skills that I have developed in a number of future projects. 

The project allowed for great exposure because I was tagged in every single Instagram post, had work published on The Tab Leeds, Leeds List and Leeds Uni Tickets as part of the promotional process of the festival. 

Reference

Saunders Richardson - 

Hannah came on board with Tropic Nation from the begin of the Jungle Se7ens concept.


Launching the online campaign in January, Hannah helped bring our brand to life with well delivered artwork. She approached each brief meticulously which led to us achieving an aesthetic online presence in the run up to the event.

Hannah proved she was a great team member as she was always willing to get involved in brand activations within the wider team. We wish her the best of luck in the future.


Evaluation
In comparison to the first release of the festival, the finalised identity was more representative of the festival being both sport and music as the initial design was focusing a little more on music branding. The graphics have been developed so that they can be representative of each of the sections within the festival and the use of colour has clearly identified each of the elements within the festival setup. The success of the festival showed that the branding was effective, the ticket sales were on target through the consistent social media content that ensured people were aware of the festival and constantly reminded to buy tickets.

The initial posters and design style caught the attention of the target audience straight away and soon had a following online and an article published on the tab. The video helped to set the mood for the festival but as the release was before a lot of the small details were confirmed, it had to be fairly about the atmosphere rather than the finer details of the festival. This was risky, but worked well to get a little bit of interest in regards to the festival. If I was to continue working with the company on the next festival, the content will be much easier to develop as there is a lot of footage and images from this year’s event. This means that the videos and social media content will not have to be as graphic based and can focus on what the festival will actually be like, rather than the predicted atmosphere.

Having produced a design that can be sent around as an email header, the CEO decided that it would be worth paying to advertise on Leeds Uni Tickets as this is a popular group for students to look at - ensuring more awareness about the festival. The small promotional decisions like this meant that the festival got a lot media coverage and the content reached the intended target audience because all of the platforms were saturated with the age group that the festival was aimed at.

This turned into a much larger project than first anticipated as I was originally going to only design the poster but innocently the manager of the company did not realise that that would require a graphic identity and a fairly established style that would drive all of the social media content. My role naturally increased within the team and I became the sole designer for all elements in regards to the festival. I found this project hard to do on my own and balance my other uni work because I had initially only planned to kick-start the festival promotion and then pass it on to someone else, but without the company knowing anyone else I decided to take on the role as the sole Graphic Designer. I felt a lot of pressure because everyone from the company would come to me with different things that they wanted to develop and put out there in relation to the festival which left me producing stuff nearly every single day for a couple of months.

This project has taught me a lot that I will take forward to my personal practice after graduation, allowing me to really understand the pressures of working with a group of people who are not in the design field. It has taught me that they do not understand the time that things take and the amount of work that will actually go into producing all of the deliverables for a full festival identity. Although a really short deadline can be motivating this project has shown that two identities had to be developed as we were originally pitching an idea that wasn’t fully read to be promoted, making it hard for me to make relevant designs other than through the predictions of what the atmosphere will be like and what the team are aiming to put together. In the future I would try to encourage a company to allow me more time to produce a full body of work before anything starts to be publicaly displayed so that 100% consistency can be ensured.

Overall I am really pleased with the outcomes for the festival branding as it was my first experience of designing for this kind of output and for the festival to successfully go ahead, it has shown that the work that I produced met the requirements and visually communicated to the intended target audience.

Images 
















No comments:

Post a Comment