Sunday 5 May 2019

Live brief - ABC + Florence Nightingale Hospice

9.04.2019

I travelled back down South to meet with the team at Aylesbury Box and then also Emma Carroll at The Florence Nightingale Hospice offices. The brief that I had been sent initially was very short and it was a little unclear as to exactly what the labels needed to say and how many different ones were needed. 

We spoke about how the label with the white background is working rally well and would be effective on the cardboard boxes that the labels would be stuck on. The block background colour could be used for 'title' title. The title sticker was confirmed to need to state what the box was and who it was sponsored/provided by. This label will be purely type focused and simply state the purpose of the box and the companies in contrast to the other label that has the recycling information and materials that will/won't be accepted by the charity. I will need to make sure that the two labels work well together aesthetically but also speak for themselves if the box side is not facing in both of the directions for example. 

The meeting was really useful because I was able to see the box that the stickers would be stuck on to, ensure that my design style was working in line with the other Florence Nightingale promotional material. I needed to add the charities registered number at the bottom, get hold of a PrintLab logo, do illustration for fuser unit, add hand typeface for the 'can' and 'cannot', adjust sizing and spacing and then design the title page sticker to go on the other panel of the box. 






I had been asked to use the typeface Dakota as that was a more 'handwritten' styled one that they had used on other promotional materials - see image of leaflet below. I did not have access to this typeface yet (waiting for an email reply about whether I can get the license for it or not) so to overcome this issue I uploaded the image into Adobe Typekit to see if I could find an alternative typeface that could work for now. The suggested typefaces from typekit were not similar in the slightest, so I needed to find my own to use for now as an alternative until I had a typeface confirmed by the company.




For the purpose of development I have used the paintbrush tool to draw out the lettering in a similar style as the Dakota typeface. 



Final design

Reflection
Although this is not the design that I want to do as my career, I learnt a lot form the process and it was good to be able to help out a charity in my free time. 

- communication with a number of companies
- sticking to brand guidelines 
- modernising the normal design style 
- designing for print with a commercial company 
- functional design rather than just aesthetic
- very short timescale 

No comments:

Post a Comment